SUBSCRIBE TO HELLO! OR HELLO! FASHION MONTHLY. VIEW THE LATEST PRINT & DIGITAL OFFERS HERE
The 'Kate effect' strikes again: Kate Middleton's penchant for clutch bags sparks new trend
Kate Middleton has brought nude heels, sapphire engagement rings, wrap dresses, long-sleeve wedding dresses and fabulous hats back into vogue, and now her penchant for the clutch bag has sparked yet another global trend.
In the latest example of the 'Duchess effect', Kate's love of smaller bags have made them the new big thing in the world of accessories.
According to handbag designer Lulu Guinness, a lady who knows a thing or two about purses, Kate, 31, has started a brand new trend that's leaving women little room to store their belongings.
CLICK ON PHOTO ENLARGE
"If she's done anything for the handbag, it's the fact that she wears small clutch bags," Lulu told the Telegraph. "Personally I am making my clutch bags smaller next season, so they're more delicate and ladylike, and that's to do with her, I think."
With some clutch bags proving a little impractical because of their size, the designer added, "She's very elegant, but she's also got people carrying the things she needs, and a big car waiting for her."
Certainly clutches played a prominent part at this year's Met Ball — the fashion world equivalent of the Oscars. Anne Hathaway, Kylie Minogue, Sienna Miller, Nicole Richie, Cameron Diaz, Kristen Stewart and Jennifer Lawrence were just some of the stars toting smaller bags on the red carpet.
- These are the opinions of our visitors, not hellomagazine.com
- You are not allowed to post comments that are libellous or unlawful
- We reserve the right to remove comments that we consider off topic
- Please keep to the subject
- Please try to write without spelling errors. Before posting a message please check it is correct: comments with no mistakes are more likely to be published.
- Please do not publish messages written entirely in capital letters.