SUBSCRIBE TO HELLO! OR HELLO! FASHION MONTHLY. VIEW THE LATEST PRINT & DIGITAL OFFERS HERE
'Athletes wanted to look cool': Stella unveils Team GB Olympic kit
The kit our home stars will be sporting in this summer’s Olympics has been unveiled.
Designed by Stella McCartney and created by Adidas, the official Team GB outfits were revealed at the Tower of London on Thursday.
Photographs posted on the team’s Facebook page show a number of the athletes modelling the new kits.
CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR GALLERY
Record-breaking cyclist Sir Chris Hoy showed off the cycling team's look.
And tennis ace Andy Murray posed in the outfit he'll wear at the All England Club.
The leading designer said her objective was to make the participants feel like a British team while maintaining a sense of style.
"You shouldn't have to sacrifice style for sport," she said.
"I spoke to Sir Chris Hoy and said, 'what can I do to help in any way?' And he said, 'I just want to look cool'."
Stella also opened up about the design making process, citing the Union Jack as a natural starting point.
“The first place to start on a project like this is to look at the Union flag,” she said.
“For me it’s one of the most beautiful flags in the world and it was very important to me to try and use that very iconic image.
“But I think that it's so recognisable that I was able to dismantle it, break it up into different parts and different colour forms and then bring it all back together and bring it back into the flag."
- These are the opinions of our visitors, not hellomagazine.com
- You are not allowed to post comments that are libellous or unlawful
- We reserve the right to remove comments that we consider off topic
- Please keep to the subject
- Please try to write without spelling errors. Before posting a message please check it is correct: comments with no mistakes are more likely to be published.
- Please do not publish messages written entirely in capital letters.