SUBSCRIBE TO HELLO! OR HELLO! FASHION MONTHLY. VIEW THE LATEST PRINT & DIGITAL OFFERS HERE
Why the Met Ball continues to fascinate
And the following year the cameras were trained on tempestuous exes Jude Law and Sienna Miller then looking very much 'on'.
Dubbed the Oscars of the east coast, the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute Gala has always been one of those gatherings that capture the imagination.
CLICK ON PHOTOS FOR FULL GALLERY
This year's ball, hosted by the high priestess of fashion Anna Wintour, is bound to offer the usual mix of glamour, reverie, high culture and breathtaking frocks.
With the US Vogue editor's presiding, invitations to the New York soiree are more sought after than vintage Hermes bags, and the movie and catwalk gliteratti vy to take fashion honours.
On Monday, Anna will share hosting duties with British starlet Carey Mulligan and Italian designer Miuccia Prada.
The gala will celebrate Impossible Conversations – the museum's spring blockbuster exhibition exploring the striking parallels between Miuccia and her fellow countrywoman, the late Elsa Schiaparelli, a contemporary of Coco Chanel.
Meanwhile, Jennifer Lopez and funky newcomer Azealia Banks are rumoured to be performing.
As we eagerly anticipate the biggest event in the Big Apple's social calendar, here’s a look back at some of the best moments from past years.
Check back on Monday night for live updates from our Twitter account - @hellomagbeauty
- These are the opinions of our visitors, not hellomagazine.com
- You are not allowed to post comments that are libellous or unlawful
- We reserve the right to remove comments that we consider off topic
- Please keep to the subject
- Please try to write without spelling errors. Before posting a message please check it is correct: comments with no mistakes are more likely to be published.
- Please do not publish messages written entirely in capital letters.