Though spring is just beginning to bloom, it's hard not to feel inspired by the recent autumn-winter fashion weeks hosted by the world's most stylish cities. In February and March, designers in London, New York, Milan and Paris displayed their latest creations, which are sure to turn into the hottest trends in a few months' time. So, if you want to be a true trendsetter this autumn, check out our guide to the looks that dominated the catwalks.
Click image to view gallery
- Bundling up to withstand the chilly temperatures is a priority. Oversized coats made from corduroy or heavy wool, as well as blanket-like wraps, were all spotted on the runways.
- Warm furs are always a popular cold-weather option. But next autumn the fur will appear as decorative touches, such as neck accessories and the trim and contrasting sleeves on coats.
- Shoulders continue to stand out with pads, pleats and round shapes that hark back to the Eighties.
- Sleeves, especially on blouses, have returned to the romantic ballooned look.
- As for trousers, designers created high-waisted, wide-leg looks, though the cigarette cut remains fashionable as well. Styles at the runway shows were varied and included carrot cuts, joggers and equestrians.
- Along with the trouser trends come the autumn-winter menswear-inspired looks, which include tailored jackets with straight shoulders and high waists.
- There will also be options for those who prefer more feminine styles, with many designers finding inspiration in the Forties and Fifties. Skirts in both the body-hugging pencil shape as well as the fuller cut pioneered by Christian Dior in this era were paired with cardigans and blazers.
- Styles of chic cold-weather accessories were varied, ranging from booties and platform shoes to oversized gloves. One of the major trends at the various fashion weeks was high boots made from leather, suede or fur.
- Of course black and grey tones played an important part in the looks seen on the runways, but many designers also created puzzles of colour by playfully combining solid-colour garments that contrasted with the rest of the outfit. Some also showed off pieces created from different geometric shapes, each one in a different shade.
- For autumn and winter evening looks, glamorous designs in gold and silver dominated.